Let’s take a moment to compare and contrast the AWS Lambda-supported languages. In this post, we’ll take a look at these languages from some angles:
- Performance during a cold start
- Performance after the initial cold start
- Cost: does it cost you more to run functions in one language over another? If so, why?
- Ecosystem: libraries, deployment tooling, etc.
- Platform support: what support do other function-as-a-service (FaaS) platforms offer for the language?
Now that AWS Lambda has added PowerShell to its growing list of supported languages, this is more interesting than ever. We will also talk about specialized use cases such as Machine Learning (ML) as well as pay attention to the unique needs of the enterprise. Finally, we’ll round off the discussion by looking at a few not-officially-supported languages.